Monday 18 May 2015

Lean in

Lean in

I sense the Lord saying these two words to me lately. What do they mean? 

I always love to start with definitions… languages are fascinating to me and I think definitions give us a lot of wisdom. The word ‘lean’ means this:

be in or move into a sloping position 
It also means…
cause something to rest on or against 

Be in. 
Rest on.

Be. Rest.

God is constantly calling us to himself. And not just so we can do more for him, but so we can simply be with him. The more my relationship with Jesus grows, the more I realize this simple truth. 

As I learn to simply “be” with God, a lot of things happen. When I’m with him, I see a reflection of who I am. In Jesus, I am already “in Christ.” In 2 Corinthians 5:17 we hear this:

If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; the new has come.

Sometimes I think we forget all of the treasures we have in Jesus. Not because of anything we have done but because of what He did and is doing in us. 

So what happens when we lean in?

When I lean into Christ, I can’t help but worship him.

When I worship him, I come alive and realize more of my need for him... his beauty, his love, his perfection.

When I realize my need for him, I am able to receive his love.

When I receive his love, I am reminded of who I am in Jesus. I am redeemed, pursued, loved, chosen, forgiven, gifted, equipped, clothed with strength and dignity, commissioned.

When I am reminded of who I am in him, I can live in freedom and truth.

When I live in freedom and truth, anything in possible, isn’t it? We can throw off the chains that entangle us, we can lay our burdens at his feet, and walk through our day with confidence that the Lord is so close.

When I am aware of how close he is and that with him all things are possible (Matt. 19:26), I become more of who I am. I can pursue those things he’s put in my heart because HE has put them there. I can let go of any desire to be perfect or have things together, because in Him all things hold together (Colossians 1:17). 

As I become more of who I am, I allow him to do HIS creative work in me and through me. 

He has so many more dreams for us than we even have for ourselves. He wants us to go after those things that make our hearts come alive, because he’s the one who put them there when he created us.

Lean in, Be in, Rest on, Dear friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment