Tuesday 9 June 2015

31 Days to Abundant Life: Day 2

This morning, I was reading the devotional “Savor” by Shauna Niequist. She writes about what makes her feel alive and connected to God’s voice and spirit. For her, it’s connecting with people around the table. This sentence stood out to me, especially as it relates to abundant living “…part of becoming yourself, in a deeply spiritual way, is finding the words to tell the truth about what it is you really love.”

The world is a lot louder than it used to be. Social media is a part of most everyone’s lives these days. We live in a culture that is just really busy and loud. Sometimes, this grieves me. I begin to feel disconnected from my family and friends. I look at people’s pictures on instagram who I don’t even know. Sometimes it just starts to feel overwhelming and life sucking, rather than life giving.

That’s why I think some days its important to just take a big, deep breath and restart. Do that right now with me, will you? Innnnn… annnnd….ouuuuut. Feel a bit better, don’t you? 

This blog isn’t here to just add more noise. When I read that quote this morning, I was reminded of how I connect to God’s voice and spirit. For me, it’s two things. 

Friendship 
    and
Writing

Being with other people draws me closer to God’s heart. When I spend time with my friends, I become more aware of who I am. When I get to connect with people’s hearts, hear what’s going on in their lives, share what’s going on in mine… this is a huge way I experience God’s presence in my life. 

And then there’s writing. I don’t write here because I think I have big, important things to say. I write because when I do, the truth about what I believe and think and feel comes out more clearly than when I just speak or think it. It’s a necessity for me to get my thoughts out. Often, I don’t even know my full thoughts on something until I start to write it out. As I connect with myself through writing, I am also able to better connect with God as I communicate my heart to Him.

Life abundant is living fully into who we are. We pay attention to the way we are wired, what we love, what brings us energy… and then we do those things that bring us life and joy and fullness.


What are those things for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment