Tuesday 2 June 2015

What I Learned in May

One of my favourite bloggers (http://emilypfreeman.com/blog/) writes a monthly blog post including what she’s learned that month. I love reading it because although theres often heart stuff that she’s learned, theres also fun, silly things and I love that. 

Sometimes we can forge ahead with our to-do list and plans for the month and we honestly just forget to look back and remember. We forget to remember the fun we’ve had and the things we’ve learned along the way. When we fail to remember, it’s easy to forget. So in the spirit of remembering, here are 5 things I learned in May.

1. Trying new hobbies, like gardening, can be fun.

We’ve never had a yard until this past March. A couple of weeks ago, I planted my first ever flowers…bright red geraniums. Although I don’t think gardening will become a huge hobby for me, I’m learning that its good to open myself up to trying new things, even if it is unknown to me. I literally told the guy at the plant store: “I’ve never planted anything before. What do I do?” and he laughed. I’m so proud of my little red geraniums.

2. Hosting people for dinner is always worth it. 

Even though having people over for dinner doesn’t come naturally to me (I get a little crazy about cleaning and making sure everything looks and tastes great)… I’m realizing that it’s worth the effort. Community and laughter and fun and games and conversation… it’s all worth it. I want to do more of that this summer. So much good comes out of time spent around the table. 

3. I actually can nap! 

For as long as I remember, I have not been a napper because I’ve never been able to. I try and sometimes I just lay there and rest, but then I get frustrated and feel even more exhausted. Well, it finally happened. Last week Kevin was out, baby was napping, and I just laid down in my bed. I didn’t expect to sleep but I committed to resting. I woke up and thought it had probably been 2 minutes and it had been half an hour! Even if I never become a great napper, I realized it is possible. :)

4. The library is a great place! 

How come I hadn’t discovered it earlier? I used to go as a kid. My mom would always take us. But I just hadn't made the plunge to get a library card and our library is literally like a 4 minute drive down the road. My son played with the train table and I chose books for us both and it was just really lovely. Yay, for libraries! May we all use these wonderful places in our communities with more intention and gratitude. 

5. I like keeping post-it’s of truth on my windows

Often we begin our days with such great intention to live in truth and freedom. But, things come up and it’s easy to forget the intention we felt when we first woke up. Lately, I’ve been writing down little tidbits of truth on post-its and leaving them on my window for a few days. It refocuses me when I need a little encouragement and reminder of truth at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of my day. 

Now it’s your turn. I’d love to hear what you learned in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment