Wednesday 10 June 2015

31 Days to Abundant Life: Day 3

It’s tempting to think that abundant life looks a lot like “The American Dream." House, 2 kids, dog, big back yard, perfect school, money in the bank, 2 great vacations a year, organic garden, good health, perfectly delicious meals each night, fantastic wardrobe, beautifully decorated home, great group of friends, etc.

Do you think it’s possible to have ALL of those things… and still not be living abundantly? I completely do. It’s not wrong to desire those things or to work towards goals. I love decorating my home and making yummy meals for my family. Vacations are great, fashion is fun, having money in the bank helps us plan for the future. But I don't think these things are the most important things.

A lot of times, in scripture, Jesus turns people’s ideas about life completely on their head. An example of this is in the beatitudes. Let’s just look at that for a minute:

Matthew 5:3-12 (ESV)
3“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

In this passage, these are the things Jesus speaks of as having worth in our lives… 
the kingdom of heaven, being comforted by God, inheriting the earth, being satisfied in Him, receiving mercy, seeing God, being called sons and daughters of God…

Jesus says that being persecuted, meek, thirsting and hungering for righteousness, being merciful, peacemaking, mourning, and being poor in spirit… these are the things to seek in his life. Talk about flipping ideas around!

This is huge for us. We can stop trying to strive after every thing or life circumstance that we think may make us happy. Because it won’t. It just won’t. 

When I think back on my life, I see this to be true. As soon as I start to put my value, worth, or satisfaction into something other than God, I am inevitably left feeling unsatisfied. And he draws me back with a whisper… “Only I can satisfy the deepest desires of your heart.” It’s really easy for me to start believing that certain circumstances or material things will give me abundant life. But Jesus shows us a different way. 

It seems crazy. It’s countercultural. It’s not neat and wrapped up in a pretty little bow. But I believe it. Because I’ve seen in my own life that when I’ve lived with my deepest desire being Him alone… abundant life happens. 

Abundant life happens when we let go of our earthly desires and instead cling to our God who shows us what we really need: more and more and more of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment