Monday 9 November 2015

On This Monday Morning, We Have A Choice...

I woke this Monday morning, knowing that I have a choice. That, in fact, I have many choices. 

I can start off my week grumbling about all that I need to get done, or I can start off my week with hands lifted in thanksgiving, trusting God to help me accomplish the tasks ahead. 

I can live in hurry mode, constantly trying to tidy up after my 18 month old, racing to get small tasks done around the house, or I can slow down. I can look at the task in front of me as a portal into the Kingdom of God, as a small way to serve my Heavenly Father. 

I can live out of fear, constantly worrying about our future and what it might look like, or I can rest in the unchanging love, faithfulness and goodness of the Lord, who already goes before us and has a good plan for our lives. 

I can go through my days longing to have a big influence and platform, wishing that what I did seemed more meaningful, or I can choose to “celebrate my smallness” (Emily P. Freeman, Simply Tuesday) and see the sacred in making grilled cheese sandwiches, reading storybooks, cooking for my family and having dance parties after dinner.

Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. ~ James 5:11

I read these verses in James this morning, and the word steadfast stood out to me. Sometimes I think what makes our days frustrating, lonely and unfulfilling is that we’re striving after something God has not yet given us. We want to see the next step when he hasn’t revealed it yet. We want to live into the full potential of our calling when Jesus is asking for faithfulness in the small moments of our days. We want all the kinks and troubles of our health, our relationships, our finances, to be resolved so we can live at peace. Instead Jesus offers us himself, the Prince of Peace, and gives us all that we need amidst troubles, trials and unfulfilled longings in our lives. 

So, on this bright November Monday morning, I’m taking a different posture. I’m not trying to do things perfectly, no, because I know I will only fail again and again. Instead, I am leaning in to my Saviour, Jesus. 


I’m choosing worship, gratitude, and slow paced living. I’m seeking to trust him as I celebrate my smallness. I’m choosing to believe that those who remain steadfast will be considered blessed and that through it all, the Lord is compassionate and merciful, always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment